sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • To: "Julian v. Bock" <julian AT openit.de>
  • Cc: Source Mage Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 02:07:57 -0700 (PDT)

Julian v. Bock said:

> I like it because my fs doesn't get filled with the remains of failed
> compiles. After a reboot everything is gone, and if I want to
> clean up manually all I have to do is the following:
>
> cd /usr/src
> umount *
> rmdir *
>
> This leaves the kernel dir / link intact.

I can think of a couple of work arounds. You could chroot into a
directory and install things to the appropriate places. You could then
relink things accordingly.
You could create a new directory as you would with tempfs and
do all sorcery related work within it. You could then delete leftovers
accordingly.
You could have a temporary file mounted as a loopback and do all
work in there.
The important part here is that Sorcery as a good packaging system
should clean up after itself. Tempfs is a simple idea thrown at a
problem. I believe that the benchmarks have bourne out that using the
native filesystem may be a better idea.
I don't believe that having Sorcery clean up after itself and
having Sorcery use the native filesystem are mutually exclusive.

-Phil/CERisE