seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Growing Rice

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@yahoo.com>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Growing Rice
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 02:36:38 -0800 (PST)

I have found that-- while transplanting Rice, that the soil should be pulled back and then gently pushed back over the root of the seedling, --then it must be soaked very well with water, at least over night, --if the root is allowed to dry out very much you will loose your transplant, ---
     I, flood my Rice patch after planting and leave it flooded for 2-3 days, --then I drain it and just water when the ground is almost dry, -- Michael Porter

oowonbs@netscape.net wrote:
>Bill mentioned on all the PBS gardening/growing shows, one
observes, like in China, the gardeners putting rice plants/transplants
in the water. if the root system is so fragile, how do they do this? is
it the medium of water that doesn't disturb the roots?
thanks, bunkie.

A guess. They might easily push an index finger into the soft muck,
which seems to be under 6-12" of water, in which animals trod,
humans, uh... trod. Etc. So it';s probably pretty soft. Delicate
roots may not take what "WE" are used to as sensitive roots.

Interesting...! MAYbe, the roots are WHY they plant it in water,
or maybe that they GROW in such muck, is WHY they are delicate.
Dunno. But interesting!
BillSF9c