seedkeepers - [Seed Keepers] confusion re:Seed swaps/exchanges, how stuff works?

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkin@xanadoo.com>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Seed Keepers] confusion re:Seed swaps/exchanges, how stuff works?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 08:59:38 -0600

oowonbs@netscape.net wrote:
I like it, (LL's post, below) but it seems, complex for now.

I may have a misconception going on in my head... Re, seed swaps.

Umm.. Bill, I've kind of wondered if you weren't making two things into one. There's Seed swaps and then there's individual wants/haves. They're not the same thing. I don't think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding of what's going on with the monthly seeds thing is that those are the types of seeds we should be saying we have or want during the specified time frame and working out what to do about sending and receiving them individually off list. Possibly via this RSS links thing, which I don't understand particularly well either.

See, I thought from previous posts that somewhere, off list, there was going to be this place you could go and there would be this master list of stuff people had. Each person would have some sort of place they could register and get an email address that they could either check online or would forward to their private address and then people could click the email like to the "non-main" address so there was a step of anonymity in there if you needed it. People who wanted stuff would go down the list and contact that "blind" address and you could respond to them if you wanted to. This would kind of be like an online catalog of what people have. And then the list was supposed to be for talking, answering seed saving questions, etc.

Now, I don't know how far that got. This RSS thing sounds like it's another way of doing that without getting a new email address, but you people who work in computers have to understand that the rest of us aren't all cutting edge and basically don't have a clue about what all that is. I don't know about anyone else, but when something confuses me, I either skip it and delete or save it for later to come back to when I have access to someone who might be able to explain it to me.

Then there are swaps. And then there is this "monthly featured seeds" thing which goes with the RSS thing(or maybe not). And I think, maybe the question is how is stuff supposed to work? THEN in another post explain idiot simple what things like the wiki (which I know what is) and RSS (which I kind of get what is, but I haven't a clue how to actually DO - what piece of code does one need to embed one and such?), and anything else that might not be explained, or if that's too much like list-clutter give us some links in the pages that'll tell us what those things are and how they work so the people who understand already aren't "bothered".

Morgan