seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Growing Rice

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Growing Rice
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 02:28:59 -0800 (PST)

Ken,

I take it you don't use paddy fields.  I don't know your climate.
What is "plant early" in terms of temperature?
Do you use irrigation or do you have enough rain?
What are the best types of rice if you don't use paddy fields?
Do you flood the field at any time?

I did a few garden-scale trials, but the rice didn't make it
through the weeds.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Ken Bezilla <kenbez@hotmail.com> wrote:
I've tried growing rice the last couple years.  Useful stuff I've learned =

1) Plant as early as possible
2) Direct-seeding is usually better -- all the transplants we did died.
3) When weeding, make sure to keep grass under control -- once grass gets large, it's hard to tell it apart from the rice.

Ken Bezilla
Acorn
central VA

Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star power. Play now! _______________________________________________