seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] May I suggest a simple rule for seed offers/requests?

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] May I suggest a simple rule for seed offers/requests?
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 08:52:40 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

A cool way to do things is to have list software that allows subscribers to
embed an RSS feed link in all their posts.
If all seedsaver lists used this software then a reader could just click on another users RSS feed and subscribe to everything that user posts to every forum, and blogs too. If well defined subject headers and their threads could
also have embedded RSS feeds then users could keep up with every post on topics such as Edamame and or posts by specific users on Edamame by way of RSS'ing everything they wrote everywhere or alternately RSS the topic Edamame, across all lists then subselect all posts on Edamame by specific user(s). Of could you can already do much of this with blogs but
they seem somewhat freeform and disorganized. So it would be necessary for the bloggers and he blog host to maintain acurate subject header decriptions, likewise list users - when you change subject of discussion make sure you change the subject header too (use Was:). This also helps a lot with Google searches which will become increasingly important. The new Firefox3 web brower will have features that emphasize search functionality and options.

Actually RSS feed links, as well as website, blog, wiki, etc. URL's and email addresses can be embedded in your messages to a list. Here's one for my blog: http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
I can provide an RSS feed to any datasource I am developing as long as the software I use (blog, wiki, etc.) allows that option. I am still working on an integrated system comprised of wiki, blog, forums, website and this list.
I will create in this Permaculture Wiki subsections for Seed Keeping and other topics. Within seed keeping all of us can develop out own pages containing inforrmation about the work we are doing. We can also develop areas in the blog
and crosslink between our respective wikipages and our blog entries and archives. In addition we can have our own (web) forum to use for discussion between each of us and those we trade seeds with. So the whole 24/7 interactive system each of us can develop individually looks like this:
1) our own wiki page containing our main information archives
2) our blog entries, good for announcements and requests
3) our own (web) forum for expansion of discussion on seed topics and
exchange of seeds with others
RSS feeds, linking 1) through 3) can be created and from any points within 1)
through 3).
The host website Permaculture will be the portal to the wiki, blog, forums
and this list and contain
lists of external links and display of non-transient information.