seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] New directions, anger, whatever

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] New directions, anger, whatever
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 02:05:35 -0800 (PST)

>> I am angry about GMOs. I am, but there is nothing I can "do" about it.
>> There's nothing I can vote for to get anything done about them. It's a
>> total non-issue as far as platforms go for government. ...
>But here in the US, for the moment anyway, we have a government that
>is supposed to be "of the people, by the people, and for the people."
>Now granted, increasingly it seems that it isn't working like that too
>very well. But it's likely that is so because because of the apathy of
>the populace.
The clout of the US government is such that it can pressure most foreign
governments into towing its line on such issues as sending troops to
foreign theatres of war or accepting GMO crops. Many governments are
not able to withstand such pressure and accept to go along even in the
face of stiff resistance from its own population.

Those of us who are not citizens of the US have no influence on policy
decisions made at the White House even though it affects us all. It is
indeed disappointing to hear from you, who do have a vote and who can
send a letter to your local representative of congress, that there is
"nothing" you can do about it.

Burning GM crops like in Europe may not be a good idea considering
gun laws in the US, but surely you can do better than "nothing". One
issue is labelling of GM food so that people are at least allowed to
choose freely what they want to eat. Surely that is not asking for too
much in a "free" country. The World needs you not your apathy.

Dieter Brand
Portugal