permaculture - Re: [permaculture] official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] official certification
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 18:11:59 +1200

A divergent subject...going sideways. I'm contemplating a quick visit to
attend the NAPC II...who sis going ?
Jason ?
Scott ?
Toby ?
Lawrence ?
Albert ?

Hopefully I can juggle it amongst too many other comittments..Steve Hart

On 9 July 2016 at 17:58, scrooge McDuck <declan@planetmail.net> wrote:

> Jason, that must be the US you're talking about. Big big business there
> has bought successive politicians by campaign funding, and influenced laws
> greatly in their favour. The businesses make billions and pay little/no
> taxes. The economy is actually a PLUTONOMY staffed in the main by the
> PRECARIAT - the precarious proletariat.
>
> Yes of course Mollison was right. My university degree in Electronic
> Engineering was a joke. In the days when we are ripping out copper
> infrastructure in telecommunications and putting in glass fibre, we were
> still bring taught about balancing copper lines. We learned every obsolete
> protocol, ,(frame relay, x25, ,rs232, etc) and nothing about new ones.
>
> I would like to see Bill Mollison and maybe Toby Hemenway write up a
> Universal Permaculture Curriculum with specified subjects, hours of course
> time per subject, & practical elements. People should be trained to look
> for PDC Courses that taught the full UPC - a fact they would advertise and
> they would issue attendance certs.
> Design Certification should come from one Central Authority or two at
> least 5 years into a successful design. The design site should be
> registered in year one & photographed & described. Profits and expenses
> should be recorded for the 5 years, and a final report should detail the
> current status and planting scheme, zones, climate over the years etc. This
> cert could be graded like Universities; A 1st, 2:1, 2:2, pass & fail.
> Failures could reapply inside a few years if their work bore fruit. The
> central Authority issuing design certification need never visit, but could
> put up report guidelines & accept reports online.
> Local PDC holders could be asked to verify suspicious cases.
> --
> Declan Moriarty
> Sent from my Android tablet with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
> On 08/07/2016, 20:45 Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm glad that post made sense Darrell, Lawrence. Sometimes it's hard to
>> know. Lawrence, feel free to use whatever you like from that post and
>> attribute it to me. I'd be honored. I also thank you for maintaining this
>> list. When it's really engaging it can be so good. The recent biochar
>> thread was eye opening for me.
>>
>> Declan, I basically agree with Mollison about the uneasy marriage between
>> permaculture and higher education. Being one week out of my professorial
>> career as a permaculture teacher of nearly 6 years at a private liberal
>> arts school as well as having taught at land grant colleges and state
>> universities, I found the headaches to be more difficult than the high
>> points, and there were plenty of very high points. I'd say it depends on
>> the institution and the attitude of the professor though. I'm well aware
>> that my anti-establishment attitude got in the way sometimes, as I suspect
>> was the case with Bill too. Ultimately, what bothered me most was the fact
> [...]

Kia ora Ehoa

[image: Picture]
*Steve Hart*
*Ecology Architect*
*Designer, Teacher, Builder of Ecologically Sustainable Resilient
Environments, through Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture
and Systems Ecology.​*
Skype: tipenemanawa
Phone: +64 220 75 62 11

Permaculture Global Design: