permaculture - Re: [permaculture] official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] official certification
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 17:32:23 -0400

**************************

> Where I think we are lacking is in guiding people in a way
> that they can integrate THEMSELVES into that greater story.

**************************

This is classic insight and wisdom and a brilliant observation.
Very fine! This is one of the best things I have read in this list since it
started.
That should be at the top of the list of teaching objectives.
You shouw them the world of permaculture - they become interested and want
to know more - they then want to learn wat their role should be on a site
with a permaculture design that they created and built, and will have to
maintain and enrich.

> Do we give them
> a new story to live out (you be a farmer, you be a natural builder)? That's
> not how I would approach designing for a client, so it's certainly not how
> I'm gonna teach people to be pattern readers and how to design. Giving
> people a new story to live is just the same old narrative that anybody has
> ever been given (you be a banker, you be a drug dealer). Where the PDC can
> shine more is in helping people discover their own story. I

That is a really fine essay, Jason. I would like to include some of the
above quotes in the homepage for this list if that is OK with you, with
full attribution.

A thought:
Permaculture encourages one to design and build a site where everyting is
arranged (as Mollison says) "in the right place", orderly in a unique
permaculture way, but in reality you are creating a living system on a site
that is in maximum disorder, i.e. a maximum number of possibilities for
creating and sustaining interactive, interdependent colonies of organisms,
whether they be people or scarab beetles.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com