permaculture - Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence thisSeptember! Save the dates!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence thisSeptember! Save the dates!
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 23:41:52 +0200

Hi Scott, Declan, Jono, Lawrence et al,

I highly (HIGHLY!!) recommend Frederic Laloux’s "Reinventing Organizations"
for everyone who intends to contribute to a noble cause that cannot be
tackled by any single person (or organisation, for that matter), thus
requires collaboration. I have mentioned this before, but it is apparent that
not everyone here has integrated the wisdom flowing through and out of that
book.

In the first chapter (basically an elaborate foreword) Frederic lucidly
outlines how different people or organisations might approach, interpret and
apply one and the same noble idea. E.g. one might prioritize purity of the
idea (in religions this appears as 'The One Truth') and thus lean towards
measurements to keep this purity, more or less resulting in a black-and-white
worldview. Another one might prioritize the results this idea can give us (in
religions this is science or the constant improvement of our understanding of
the world) and thus lean towards evolution of the idea through trial 'n
error, more or less resulting in practical application and achievement. Yet
another one might prioritize the community of those who recognize the
nobility of the idea (in religions this appears as fellowship or sangria, the
love ’n peace approach) and thus lean towards harmony and tolerance, more or
less resulting in good experiences and less quantifiable results. Still
others might prioritize personal freedom and responsibility with the idea
(dunno what this is in religions), thus leaning towards individuality and
distrust in organised efforts, resulting in only temporary alliances and
loose networks of very diverse people.

One problem is, that most viewpoints view the own viewpoint as better than
all other viewpoints. Viewpoints that one has been living through in the past
are disregarded as antachronistic, and those that one has not yet experienced
are distrusted as floady-woady. All viewpoints and approaches have their
strengths and their weaknesses, and each and every one has a valuable
contribution to make. But collaboration can be difficult, between some more
so than between others.

'Reinventing Organizations' can be downloaded as an ebook on
pay-what-feels-right from http://www.reinventingorganizations.com
<http://www.reinventingorganizations.com/>, or ordered in print at any
bookstore (ISBN 978-2960133509)
It does not contain a simple recipe for our task at hand. But it can help a
lot in the mentioned 'some serious training in building collaborative
networks, mentoring, and working with our inner process'.

Greetings!
Georg