permaculture - Re: [permaculture] On the listserv

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jeff Hine <jeffreyhine@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] On the listserv
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 09:46:47 -0700

So... this is all somehow fascinating. I am not well read on this subject
nor am I expert in anything but I would say my usage of various social tech
stuff has evolved over the years. For instance, we get a lot of emails,
perhaps on some days even from the permaculture list. Are we too tired?
(press the delete button, don't even open it) Are we overwhelmed with our
life? (press the delete button, don't even open it) Do we live in some
podunk town and have no resources and no ability to travel to geographical
location X for a permaculture meetup? (press the delete button, don't even
open it) Or open it. Hey you're feeling good today and want to say hello.
Go ahead engage. Does this make me an asshole? I have no idea. But I do
suspect that we are trying to apply social cues, as social creatures that
we are, that just do not work in screen isolation. If you are walking
around a party and there is a terribly banal conversation happening and you
drift away and engage someone else, there is no harm. Secondly why take
offense? Let me ask you guys, have you ever been misunderstood in an email
conversation? I sure have. People have jumped on things I've said in
innocence. I've learned that it's just not a big deal. Life lesson 101, hey
it's not personal. Some cats have stripes, some people are rude, sometimes
there is an earthquake and your grandmothers plate breaks. Sad, but not
personal. We only have responsibility over our own reactions. Yes, we make
things personal. Don't do it, it causes too much pain. You may even be
right. It doesn't matter. It's water under the bridge. Good luck, and I
encourage everyone to not throw out the baby with the bath water!