permaculture - Re: [permaculture] On the listserv

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] On the listserv
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 22:48:28 -0500

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 10:21 PM, Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
wrote:

> Am I not getting all the list emails, or is my concept of “a lot of
> emails” very different from others? This list seems very low-volume to me.

You are getting all traffic from this list.

> I get 50-80 emails per day from Facebook alone, and 40-70 other emails per
> day, not including spam.

I tried FB again but left after a month.Unless you have a professional or
business reason to be there it has a really low time spent/benefits derived
ratio.

> Although I use Mac’s native mail program, my web guy set up Google mail to
> filter my mail first; Google has a superb spam filter that lets me go weeks
> without a single spam getting through (it catches 30-50 per day), and
> rarely a false positive.

It really does. I havew the same experience with Gmail's spam filter.

> I also use rules and filters generously. This list’s mail goes
> automatically into its own folder via a rule that I set up, so I can read
> it at leisure. FB and other lists also go straight into their own folder
> automatically. This leaves my inbox free of almost everything but personal
> and serious business email.
>
> I recommend learning how to use rules and filters (labels in Google) in
> your mail app. Saves tons of time and takes about 90 seconds to set up each
> rule.

You can take it several steps further. To make sure you have all your email
on your own computer, in an email client (works online or offline), install
Thunderbird and or Claws email clients. You can set them both up with imap
so that they will download updates (mirror images) of all email sent to
your Gmail account. They download _copies_ of all email in your Gmail
"folders" (labels), Inbox, Sent, etc. Rather than have all my email in
Gmail/Google's cloud I prefer to have my own copy on my computer.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com