permaculture - Re: [permaculture] On the listserv

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] On the listserv
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 19:21:06 -0800

I get, on average over the last year or two, 3-5 emails from this list per
week, sometimes double that, and very rarely 15-20 in a week (like in the
last few days, which have mostly been about how many emails there are on this
list) Sometimes there are fewer; I often go 3-4 days with no emails at all
from this list.

Am I not getting all the list emails, or is my concept of “a lot of emails”
very different from others? This list seems very low-volume to me.

I get 50-80 emails per day from Facebook alone, and 40-70 other emails per
day, not including spam. Although I use Mac’s native mail program, my web guy
set up Google mail to filter my mail first; Google has a superb spam filter
that lets me go weeks without a single spam getting through (it catches 30-50
per day), and rarely a false positive.

I also use rules and filters generously. This list’s mail goes automatically
into its own folder via a rule that I set up, so I can read it at leisure. FB
and other lists also go straight into their own folder automatically. This
leaves my inbox free of almost everything but personal and serious business
email.

I recommend learning how to use rules and filters (labels in Google) in your
mail app. Saves tons of time and takes about 90 seconds to set up each rule.

Toby
tobyhemenway.com

Just out: my new book on urban permaculture, The Permaculture City. Order it
at your favorite bookseller or get a signed copy from me at
http://tobyhemenway.com/book/the-permaculture-city/