permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 37 Million Bees Found Dead In Ontario, Canada After Planting Large GMO Corn Field | Organic Health

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 37 Million Bees Found Dead In Ontario, Canada After Planting Large GMO Corn Field | Organic Health
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 22:41:31 +0000

I agree, the important details are scarce. Two possibilities come to
mind (if this is causation and not correlation):

Planting treated seed will be accompanied by treated seed dust, that
might travel and coat and be absorbed by plants more attractive to
bees.

Bees (and other insects) are also attracted to corn's guttation: sap
exuded by plants such as grasses from the edge of the leaf. That sap
would be highest in pesticides when the corn is young, before it grows
out up and has more volume to dilute the pesticide in.

But that article definitely should have included more details, and
alluded to what their information source was. (And then they cite a
study from PNAS without mentioning the study authors or anything...
for shame. That would have been a great place to use the power of
internet and throw a link to the source in.)

Alia