permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Impermanence & permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Impermanence & permaculture
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 23:25:46 -0500

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Holger Hieronimi <holger@tierramor.org>wrote:

> Hello all-
> saludos desde México
>
> I wonder how PC Activists respond to one of the most interesting
> paradoxes in Permaculture, expressed in the very name. I ask you:
>
> How can we promote Permaculture, presented as a contraction of
> "permanent culture" (originally permanent agriculture),
> knowing that in the universe there is one basic fact (maybe even law):
> NOTHING IS PERMANENT
> ???
>
> More importantly: Nothing is more impermanent than culture. We all know
> that culture is subject of constant change & adaption to changing
> circumstances
>
> I think, this is an interesting contradiction, best expressed in David
> Holmgens 12th design principle: "Creatively use and respond to change"
>
> Its not only that I`m involved somewhat in Zen practice... its a
> constant experience all PC designers & practitioners have, working with
> nature-
> Now, with the reality of climate change, and all the other political,
> economic and cultural changes happening right now in the world we`re
> living in-
> change is more up to date than never
>
> However, its also a recent experience I have made in our PermaCulture
> project:
> For 12 years now, we have been developing a site in Michoacán/ México
> with PC Principles (see documentation of our work, with fotos and
> comentary - in spanish- :
> http://www.tierramor.org/GranjaTierramor/granjatierramor.htm#linx).
>

> Now it seems that we have to leave the site for political, economic &
> security reasons: In thos very moment, our state is in the focus of the
> drug war, mainly fuelled by US dollars & arms...difficult to do courses
> or whatever in this environment-

Unbelievable.You have my sympathy. There is drug war in Mx and in US; talk
about dirty money -
make and keep it illegal so dealers and those on the take in government and
law enforcement
get to continue making big $$$ off this illegal industry. To think you
would have to discontinue a valuable permaculture project
in Michoacan because of this is outrageous. I read about this and the
legally-empowered vigilantes frequently in the news.
I lived in Mx for 9 months back in the 60's and travelled to Michoacan,
Patzcuaro and Paracho; went through Toluca (bought great sweaters)
and a beautiful mountain region on the way there. What a beautiful place to
live. What a beautiful place to ruin with drug scumbags......

Buck up and keep on keeping on.

Maybe the PC dignitaries who seem to have wussed out on us will deem it
important to comment on this.

Steve Hart: I'm still waiting for your post about those responsible for
the dilution of the permaculture movement.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com
http://www.avantgeared.com