permaculture - [permaculture] Impermanence & permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Holger Hieronimi <holger@tierramor.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Impermanence & permaculture
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 21:47:37 -0600

Hello all-
saludos desde México

I wonder how PC Activists respond to one of the most interesting paradoxes in Permaculture, expressed in the very name. I ask you:

How can we promote Permaculture, presented as a contraction of "permanent culture" (originally permanent agriculture),
knowing that in the universe there is one basic fact (maybe even law): NOTHING IS PERMANENT
???

More importantly: Nothing is more impermanent than culture. We all know that culture is subject of constant change & adaption to changing circumstances

I think, this is an interesting contradiction, best expressed in David Holmgens 12th design principle: "Creatively use and respond to change"

Its not only that I`m involved somewhat in Zen practice... its a constant experience all PC designers & practitioners have, working with nature-
Now, with the reality of climate change, and all the other political, economic and cultural changes happening right now in the world we`re living in-
change is more up to date than never

However, its also a recent experience I have made in our PermaCulture project:
For 12 years now, we have been developing a site in Michoacán/ México with PC Principles (see documentation of our work, with fotos and comentary - in spanish- : http://www.tierramor.org/GranjaTierramor/granjatierramor.htm#linx).
Now it seems that we have to leave the site for political, economic & security reasons: In thos very moment, our state is in the focus of the drug war, mainly fuelled by US dollars & arms...difficult to do courses or whatever in this environment-
Allthough our site, better known as "Granja Tierramor" (together with the whole project), has been, for years now , an important demonstration and learning site for permaculture principles & practices, it seems that we`ll have to leave the place soon.
Things have been changing rapidly here...too fast, it seems, for us to respond creatively-

Nothing is permanent!
Not even permaculture....
Maybe we should call it "ChangeCulture"?

--
Holger Hieronimi -holger@tierramor.org
TIERRAMOR - Diseño Integrado