permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Confronting the Context: Permaculture and Capitalism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rafter sass ferguson <liberationecology@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Confronting the Context: Permaculture and Capitalism
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:58:45 -0500

Hi Scott,

I think the article I linked to would probably answer your question. But in
case you don't feel like reading it, here you go:

I'm borrowing the definition of capitalism that has been used for the last
30 years by the Center for Popular Economics. Capitalism is a
political-economic system characterized overwhelmingly by these 5 elements:
(1) Private ownership of the means of production
(2) Wage labor (i.e. selling your labor to an owner)
(3) Production for sale (not for use)
(4) Market exchange (as the central mechanism for making allocation
decisions)
(5) Profit maximization (as the central mechanisms for making production
decisions)

I'm using the term entrepreneurial enterprise to refer to people taking
risks with their resources to try and make a living as their own boss (or
co-boss with their colleagues) - to try and turn their big ideas and
ambition into a livelihood.

Hope that clarifies things.

Warmly,
Rafter