permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The people of Tibet need help now - Boing Boing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The people of Tibet need help now - Boing Boing
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 03:10:47 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence,

Linda did not advocate the use of terrorism. She said that in this World of
ours, terrorism grasps attention while those who resort to peaceful means to
protest against oppression are ignored. That is a fact if we like it or not.
She also said that those who resort to violence will perish by violence. That
too is a fact.

Gandhi was an exception for three reasons. You can successfully resort to
nonviolent methods if your opponent can be shamed into admitting that the use
of massive force against non-violent resistance is immoral. But if a regime
is capable of massacring its unarmed civilians by tanks as it happened in
Tienanmen Square, than that regime has no shame. Secondly, the British in
India were in the role of the foreign occupier, which in itself is prove of
injustice. And finally, the colonial period had come to a close anyways as a
result of WWII.

I think we should not bedevil the Chinese either. The Chinese are capable of
the whole range of human emotions, like all human beings. It is just the
dynamics of the present regime that is a problem, a problem for Tibet, for
China itself and for the whole World. In fact, the use of suicide to protest
against oppression has been used in Chinese history. A person who had been
ruined by a powerful clan would have as last resort suicide committed in
front of the residence of his oppressor in order to publicly shame him. For
this strategy to work, it needs to take place in public. If news of the
self-immolation of Tibetans is suppressed by the Chinese or if Western media
stops reporting about it, it will fail and the suffering of the Tibetans will
be forgotten.

Dieter