permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Alternative/traditional methods of doing laundry w/o a machine (how?)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Alternative/traditional methods of doing laundry w/o a machine (how?)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 04:15:46 -0400

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM, d m <dsm3936@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I use a 5 gallon bucket and a toilet plunger for agitation. A combination
> of
> vinegar and baking soda power foams the dirt out and vinegar alone in the
> rinse
> softens. The wringing out is the hard part so I use the insert from a
> pasta pan
> and put it in the bathtub or shower stall and push on the clothes with said
> toilet plunger. If I have extra time I let them drain in the pasta pan
> insert
> and various colanders while I hand wring. I have a wonder washer but I
> haven't
> tried it yet.
> Usually use warm water or cool...never cold or hot. Too hard on the hands.
>
> Deb

I found many websites with excellent recipes for home made laundry soap
with reader's comments that added improvements like using white
vinegar in the rinse
cycle to remove soap residues and diisinfect, tea tree oil for
fragrance and disinfectant.

http://www.thethriftymama.com/homemade-laundry-soap.html
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-laundry-detergent-soap/
http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm