permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Alternative/traditional methods of doing laundry w/o a machine (how?)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robert Waldrop <bwaldrop1952@att.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Alternative/traditional methods of doing laundry w/o a machine (how?)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 18:43:23 -0800 (PST)

I have one of these --

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/wonder_clean_washing_machine

It actually works, to both wash and then to rinse.

I only use mine occasionally, I wash at a nearby laundromat and line dry at
home. I use warm water in it. If I was going to use it regularly, or was
going
to do my own laundry for any length of time, I would buy a hand operated
wringer, as for my money, the most laborious aspect of hand laundry is
wringing
out the clothes before and after you rinse them. I would also find a
permanent
place for it and figure out a way to fasten it to a counter.

If it is going to rain, a method I have used for shirts or any other item
that
isn't heavily soiled, but instead just smelly from body odor, is to hang them
on
the line during the rain. That, followed by air dry, works fine without any
soap or agitation or anything. I have tested it however with muddy towels
and
it doesn't work so well getting out the dirt.

Two other methods I've witnessed --

I have friends who hook their water pumping windmill to a standard washing
machine without the motor, with a pulley, they fill the washer with a hose,
and
the wind provides the agitation action.

Another friend uses a tote on a table, she cut a hole in the lid, and through
that hole she puts the handle of a standard toilet plunger, fits the lid on
the
tote, and agitates away. The lid keeps water from splashing everywhere.
Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net -- How to permaculture your urban lifestyle