permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Double pane plastic windows?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Double pane plastic windows?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 23:26:57 -0500

On 1/18/2013 11:03 PM, Scott Pittman wrote:
I have always read that any airspace between the glass or poly should never
exceed 5/8 of an inch to prevent a thermal loop from developing which would

There is plenty of glass double pane panels that have 3/4" airspace.

defeat the purpose of double glazing. This is certainly the rule in
manufactured thermal pane windows and doors. By evacuating the air space
between the glazing panels you can slow down this effect with over time the
vacuum gets lost.

My method just uses two Polycarbonate glazing attached to framing members, not air evacuated. My untested theory on prevention of thermal loops would be to use more framing members, blocking more light of course but creating a stronger panel that is more energy efficient. I would not hesitate to use this method on a skylight, in a sunspace or or a greenhouse. This by far the cheapest way to go plus extremely durable and lightweight; you get plenty of light with some degree of thermal efficiency.

LL