permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Double pane plastic windows?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lisa Rollens <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Double pane plastic windows?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:06:28 -0600

Lawrence, that's exactly what I did, cut eastern red cedar from my farm, took
it to a small local guy to cut into 4x5 posts, 12 feet long. worked great!
Then we built aluminum framing and put honeycombed polycarbonate on sides and
top for glazing. Attached to the south side of the house, automatic vents on
the top, house windows open in the kitchen to let extra greenhouse heat into
the house. We built this on a slope without leveling it because a giant
black walnut is within 5 feet of the greenhouse. It's a good one with big
nuts and I didn't want to cut it down. The tree provides shade in the heat
of the summer. It needs a few tweaks, but all in all, a success.

Lisa, in the Mo Ozarks