permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Double pane plastic windows?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Double pane plastic windows?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:55:36 -0500

On 1/22/2013 1:13 AM, Neil Bertrando wrote:
Does non-arsenic mean non-toxic? my understanding is that the newer
treatment is copper based but I haven't tracked down the complete component
list or seen good info on the effects/toxicology.

It uses copper sulphate and borax. There may be other chemicals used also but the copper sulphate would be the only obviously toxic component
and that is mild. In a greenhouse I would definitely paint this wood as condensation on the surface of the wood might leach small amounts of this onto tables, the soil, etc.

No CCA is used in PT lumber any more other than in industrial applications. CCA = Chromated Copper Arsenate, i.e. contains arsenic.

not that this means it is non-toxic, but is it approved by OMRI/NOP for
Organic Production?

I have no idea.