permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Paul Jahn <thomaspauljahn@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Biochar
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:44:04 +0100

*Dieter, I have posted on this topic yesterday on muy bolg and also try to
post a link on the list, but it didn't get through. Anyway, the post fits
here into the discussion pretty well.
My point is: there is plenty of good reason to use biochar. But only as
local solutions. Each and every time we gotta make sure that it is of
benefit for the system as a whole.

Maybe you want to read my post at:*

http://jordforbindelse.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/biochar-is-part-of-a-local-solution/

Biochar cannot be a global solution for capturing CO2 from the atmosphere
as long as we do not completely stop burning fossil fuels. The
sequestration of carbon through production and deposition of biochar cannot
compete with the current massive production of CO2 from burning fossil
fuels. Starting with biochar production at massive scale would be under
expense of the vegetation, which is the other – and probably much more
important – part of the solution to climate change. Biochar production at
large scale may also eliminate the incentive to stop the burning of fossil
fuels. This is like burning the candles at both ends.

I share a lot of the view of Albert Bates that he expresses in the
following video. But I am even more skeptical than him when it comes to
biochar as a tool for global carbon management.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPOcPwxrUqQ&feature=player_embedded]

It is often argued that stopping the burning of fossil fuels will not be
enough to save the climate, as we already have passed the critical mark of
350 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere, and that we would need to sequester carbon
by active processes such as production and deposition of biochar. But these
calculations ignore natures capacity to do the job on its own. The exchange
of carbon between the atmosphere and the biosphere is a highly dynamic
process. And this process is not only directly disturbed by massive release
of carbon from fossil fuels, but also - and importantly - indirectly be the
management of our land.

I am convinced that by far the main task to meet the goal of reducing
atmospheric carbon is stopping emission form fossil fuels, stopping
industrial agriculture and the destruction of natural ecosystems so that
nature is allowed do the job of remediation. Stopping the burning of fossil
fuels is the most important means to stabilize the climate. This in turn
will have profound impact on agriculture, which will not be able to proceed
in its current form. If further active sequestration is useful and needed
can only be monitored after fossil fuels are out of business.

However, biochar is part of a solution for soil restoration in polluted
areas. In residential areas, where we need to grow our food with the aim of
eliminating machinery and transport in the production and distribution of
food. Another part of the local solution is no till practices. Permanent
cultures. The soil must not be disturbed, so that soil carbon will increase
and be maintained at high level. Furthermore, part of the solution is a
shift from annual crop planting to perennial crops, which is a logical
extension of the non till practice. Perennial plants including trees and
shrubs will also increase the above soil carbon.

Biochar can also be part of a solution for revegetation of regions with
extended drought or even deserts. But again, biochar is always *only
part*of a solution and a kick-starter for a more complex change in
land use
practices. Biochar is not a solution on its own!

Biochar production must not become an industrial process!

Biochar must not be used as a remedy for industrial agriculture!

Biochar should be produced locally at a scale to match the particular needs
for your local project in your local environment.

*Therefore, a number of points have to be considered by local initiatives:*

- Most importantly, when making biochar for your local use, choose the
cleanest process for production you can find.
- Try to match your production to the need for the purpose of using
biochar in your particular place.
- As feedstock for making biochar, use locally available material.
- ...and: change your practice to the simple method of chop and
drop<http://jordforbindelse.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/maintaining-the-garden/>
.