permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Growing algae in irrigation water?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Growing algae in irrigation water?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:18:58 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Lawrence,

The shading from plants may reduce evaporation but that is probably more than
offset by transpiration via the leaves.

I hit on the idea of trying to encourage algae growth in my irrigation system
because of something I read about high fertility in some of the ancient
cultures in which irrigation was used. It was assumed that part of the
fertility was due to the algae that would form in the extended network of
irrigation channels.

Dieter

--- On Sat, 11/19/11, Lawrence F. London, Jr. <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>