permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:55:36 -0400

On 10/31/2011 3:22 PM, georg parlow wrote:

I have question here:
Why not put it on the bottom of the empty can and then pour the grain
or beans on it?

For my imagination it would make a lot more sense to put the dry ice
in there first and then fill the grain on top - thus the expanding CO2
really drives out all air. I imagine, that if put on top part of the
air might stay trapped on the bottom of the container, so grain-borne
bugs could still feast for a while till they use up the oxygen (no
idea how long this would take).

This sounds like the best way but unless some food-grade
insulating barrier were put on top of the dry ice then beans or grain in direct contact with it might get "freezer burn" causing rot and eventual contamination of the whole container of dried food. Could this happen?