permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: georg parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 15:52:36 +0200

3) best ways to store grains and beans for prevention of insect damage

almosts 30 years ago I was part of a doomsday cult community - we prepeared for the worst, moved to a lowly populated area, got into permaculture (this was my introduction to it ;-)), and stored grains, beans and nuts in bulk. the method we used was:
metal hobbocks with airtight lids (stack well when empty and when filled)
de-oxygenizing with nitrogen in pressure gas bottles (have a hose on the bottle, cover the opening of the bottle with a piece of flyscreen, place in the container, fill with goods, place the lid on the container so only a small crack for the hose is left open, open the valve and put in as many liters as the container has (=ignore the volume of the grains to make sure the nitrogen flows in all corners. you need a throughflow meter for this so you know how much volume you put in.), pull out the hose with gas still flowing. close lid airtight.

lg,
georg