permaculture - [permaculture] corn gluten meal vs monsanto

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Fritz <johnfritz77@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] corn gluten meal vs monsanto
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 06:29:32 -0800 (PST)

I agree that direct action/civil disobedience should be considered for the
immediate concern.  As a direct market challenge to Monsanto though I see
much value in David Blume's tactic.  In his "Alcohol Can Be A Gas" DVD and
book of the same name he explains how Corn Gluten Meal (CGM) in particular
and Dried Distiller's Grains (DDG) in general can be used to supplant
RoundUp.  When applied to soil after tillling and before the crop seed
sprouts, CGM is a potent herbicide.  It does not kill all the so-called pest
plants but suppresses enough of them (about 80% IIRC) so that the crop seed
has a chance to sprout, get a head start, and out compete the "weeds"
depriving those that do survive of their needed sunlight. CGM is a resource
left over after the production of ethanol that is contained in the DDG. This
whole resource also contains the CGM and that fraction that is not CGM acts
as a high quality fertilizer.  The biggest obstacle to this strategy is
the native conservatism of famers who need to see proof.  If this can be
shown I see no reason why farmers would not abandon Monsanto's high cost
products that limit the farmer's options.
Any ideas on strategy to get the word out to conventional farmers would be
appreciated.
John Fritz, NW Arkansas.
Message: 4