permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Request for Organizing Help - Direct Action Against GMO Alfalfa

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Request for Organizing Help - Direct Action Against GMO Alfalfa
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 05:30:57 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 23:46:27 -0600
From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@GMX.NET>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Chrys Ostrander wrote:

Yesterday I called the Washington DC office of Greenpeace to ask
them if they had any interest in assisting in organizing direct
action in the US to prevent the shipment of GMO alfalfa seeds so
they can't be planted this spring. I was surprised by the
indifference I received by whoever it was who answered the phone.

I wouldn't assume that the perceived attitude of person you spoke to
was (or wasn't) representative of Greenpeace USA. I suggest you
determine who is charge of their transgenic crops program and
(assuming they have one), talk to THAT person.

Some of the people that work with GP, FOE and the Sierra Club (among
others) have Legislative or Civil Disobedience experience that could
prove valuable to this cause, if you can get through to the right
individuals.

Other Organizations and individuals known to be actively involved in
this struggle include:

Food First/Institute for Food and Development Policy
http://www.foodfirst.org/en/viewtax/term/82

The Consumers Union
www.consumersunion.org/

Union of Concerned Scientists
http://www.ucsusa.org

La Vía Campesina (includes Jose Bove)
http://viacampesina.org/en/

The Institute for Responsible Technology (Jeffrey Smith)
http://www.responsibletechnology.org

ALLIANCE FOR BIO-INTEGRITY (Stephen Drucker)
http://biointegrity.org/health-risks/health-risks-ge-foods.htm

saneters E. Ann Clarke
http://www.uoguelph.ca/plant/faculty/eclark/

and Chuck Benbrook
http://biotech-info.net/

Organic Consumers Association (Ronnie Cummins)
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_22449.cfm

and of course, the Institute for Science in Society
http://i-sis.org.uk (includes saneter Joe Cummins).

You also need to identify the legislators that share these concerns
(beginning with your own).

And the researchers and science based authors:

Ignacio Chapela, Armad Putzai, Jeffrey F Smith, Stephan Drucker

And highly respected social commentators like Vandana Shiva
www.vandanashiva.org/
www.navdanya.org/

and Devinder Sharma
http://devinder-sharma.blogspot.com/
www.inmotionmagazine.com/global/devsh_int1.html

Not all of these experts are located in the USA, but this is a
global problem and requires a global solution.

No interest whatsoever. He did say that anti-GMO work was a
priority issue for them on an international level but not
domestically.

That's ridiculous. The USA is the principle source of the GMO disaster.

<snip>

I would love to receive the contact information of US organizations with
a proven track record of organizing non-violent civil-disobedience and
who might be keen on pursuing direct action with respect to this
anti-GMO alfalfa issue/emergency.

Hope the above helps.

You are right. Those that care about this issue and understand that
legitimately interested parties must organize in order to reverse
the current long term (yet unsustainable) trend built on irresponsible
exploitation of natural (including genetic), human and institutional
resources, in favor of very few and in detriment to the quality of
life and security of the rest.

--

Douglas

  • [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Request for Organizing Help - Direct Action Against GMO Alfalfa, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/30/2011