permaculture - [permaculture] fair trade ain't necessarily either (was Trader Joe's)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mitch Triplett" <mtriplett@bctonline.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] fair trade ain't necessarily either (was Trader Joe's)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 07:41:13 -0800

I highly recommend listening to the program at the following link. Summary:
"Fair trade coffee, fair trade products -- we're told to buy these items
because the extra amount we pay at the register goes to improving the lives
of agricultural laborers abroad. But does it? Sarah Besky has done extensive
fieldwork on fair trade-certified tea plantations in Darjeeling, India. And
Mark Moberg co-edits a volume that features Besky's case study and many
others."

Although the author of the Darjeeling study concedes that there are
instances where the 'fair trade premium' does make it back to the ag
laborers (e.g., some cooperatives), the ag workers in Darjeeling get diddly.
All the money goes back to the plantation owners, who mostly use it to pay
for things they are mandated by law to provide anyway.

http://www.againstthegrain.org/program/369/id/470323/mon-11-22-10-fair-trade
s-impact

As an aside, Against the Grain is a great program. Do yourself a favor and
subscribe to the podcast (I am not affiliated with the program in any way).

Peace.

Mitch Triplett
Tri-Pearl Family Forest
Member - CCFFA/OSWA & OTFS