permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Trader Joe's

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Trader Joe's
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:14:40 -0500

On 1/26/2011 3:26 PM, Trudie Redding wrote:
That is what happens sometimes I think, the business, in this case this
grocery chain, uses our email trail as a way to get educated about our
version of their business and or practices and then puts the info into play
in order to get a new store open in the town of their choice, in this case,
Austin. I thought this earlier today with the going back and forth of email
but this email in particular, if you don't mind me quoting says it all
"That's a great suggestion and I'll bet TJ might be interested in this."

I said that because I benefit greatly from doing my grocery shopping there. They have inexpensive foods that I can not get anywhere else and they are a lot cheaper than Whole Foods and my local coop grocerys - note I said coop grocery not food coop, big difference.
And BTW why are there so few traditional food coops around the country.
There is one in the region where I live, Durham Food Coop.

Pay attention the next time you visit Trader Joes. They make claim to be green or eco oriented though they do offer organic selections as well as clean raised. Their products, except for certain ones, are transient, the carry what sells and discontinue what doesn't but for the most part you can count on staple items that you always need: for me these include: hard goat cheese, xtra firm tofu, unsweetened dried California apricots - you will not find a better deal anywhere. They capitalize on carrying quality items, though not always organic, at nearly the lowest price in a given locale. Its a fast moving store with lots of satisfied customers, in, get what you came for, check out and you're done. Efficient. Do they have miles of aisles with zillions of selections, costly gourmet items, no; they offer excellent choices
of staple items for homemakers who shop wisely.

I doubt TJ would indulge in the more dubious aspects of what you described above but if they located a store based on marketing surveys for folks who shop wisely and not extravagantly who need to stock their larders with staple items and cook from scratch, then all the better.

Wal Mark, btw does very well with fresh produce, good appearance, taste and keeping qualities. Excellent celery: $.88/head; keep in a cold pantry, shed, back porch (protected from freezing) and it will last far longer than in a refrigerator.

We need more low tech, high efficiency, low maintenance, affordable appliances: gas and electric cook stoves, laundry washing machines,
refrigerators, freezers and small countertop appliances for the kitchen.