permaculture - Re: [permaculture] garlic questions, roofs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] garlic questions, roofs
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:38:41 -0700 (PDT)

I concur with the Wodraskas about the color.  Some of them are quite
beautiful, like the Ellensburg Blue I grew last year.  Should we be selecting
for colorful garlics, mineral-wise, I wonder?

About your second question, the bulbets, bulblets, bulbils, whatever you want
to call them are the way elephant garlic (which is really a leek) propogates
itself.  You can naturalize them in your garden by leaving those in the soil.
 My folks have had a patch of elephant garlic/leeks in their garden for
several years now without having to replant them.

On the living roof question, I'll defer to someone with more expertise than I
have on that one, although I am definitely interested in the answer.

Hope that helps some,
Tripp

-Chinese proverb