permaculture - [permaculture] Gourmet Farmer Series 1

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk" <wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Gourmet Farmer Series 1
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 01:02:42 +0000 (GMT)

I just wanted to share with you a series that I found over on The Empire
download site, that I have really been enjoying over the past few nights.
This show is even better than River Cottage and Wild Gourmets put together.
I hope that you enjoy it as much as I am doing.

http://theempire.bz/details.php?id=119513

Chris

Episode list
http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/gourmetfarmer/episodes/page/i/1/h/Episodes/

Description
"Australia’s toughest food critic, Matthew Evans, has chucked in his city
life for a taste of some small farm living in Tasmania; that heart shaped
island somewhere down the bottom of Australia.

This series plots the new trajectory of Matthew’s life: from living in
Australia’s biggest and busiest city to a country life in an isolated part of
the island state. He’s eager to seriously put to the test his primary belief
that we should all be directly connected with our food: either by growing it
or rearing it ourselves, or sourcing it from local producers.

Matthew quickly discovers that the transition means he will need plenty of
practical help along the way: from learning how to fence, to humanely
dispatching animals. Old mates and locals are on hand to help, and provide
gritty advice, but Matthew still has to face many challenges on the road
ahead. He’s thrown in his successful big city career - but will he now be
able to make a living from the land? Can he use his skills to successfully
sell his own smallgoods at Hobart’s premium marketplace, Salamanca?

On his eternal quest for quality and authenticity, he visits artisan food
producers nestled in lush valleys, scattered along the coastal fringes or
huddled in tiny towns across the island state. They all share a common
commitment to natural and traditional methods of farming – reflected in their
unique approach to life and work. These niche producers show him how to make
cheese, select pigs, pluck chickens, press cider, and most importantly, offer
him ongoing inspiration and support. He repays them all by doing what he
knows best: cooking up a feast made from their own or locally harvested
produce."