permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture enlightenment for the military

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture enlightenment for the military
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:09:35 -0600

People might be interested in the list of subjects studied by, or asked for
by, the US Army National Guard Ag unit that Scott and I taught. This is what
their 4-month training covered (And this is unclassified!). Draw your own
conclusions according to your viewpoint.

(They are leaving for Afghanistan this week. I can call many of them my
friends. I hope we can all wish them a safe journey and speedy return, and
safety to the people they meet.)

Q3: What training have you already had?
A3: Ongoing or Training that we have attended (Current as of: 12 April)
Beekeeping
Small Grain Management: Nitrogen additives, Tilling verses Non-tilling,
Erosion control
Small Fruit Workshop: Grapes, Berries and Small Hoop type Greenhouses
Tanning Goat Hide: Processing the hide into leather (paint on, immersion and
brain tanning)
Pasture Conference: Weed and Brush Control
Basic AG Spring Management: Grass Management
Wagenseller Sheep Ranch: Herding with Dogs, Habitat, Life Cycle of Sheep,
Sheep Mngt
Basic Ag Field Day: Irrigation & Rainwater Harvesting
Purchasing Cattle
Grapes & Vineyards
Caring for Livestock
Eco-Nature Tourism
Nuisance Predator & Animal Control
Cheese Workshop: Making Goat Cheese
Pecan Grafting Workshop: Grafting Nut Trees
Bergey Wind Power: Wind and Solar Power
Basic Cattle Workshop: Handling, Nutrition & Pasture Basics, Herd
Health, Selection Criteria
Well drilling and basic pumps

Tishomingo Nation Fish Hatchery: Fish Hatchery set up & Operations
Pond Management: Water Quality, Fish ID & Stocking, Mngt of Existing Ponds
Contracting Officer (Afghanistan Specific) Course
Welding Class
International Agriculture Development: Poultry Education
International Agriculture Development: Forestry Education
Zack’s Windmill Service: Windmill Operation and Maintenance
Blacksmith Workshop: Basic Principles, Coal Forge

Q4. What training specifically are you interested in?
A4: I opportunity to train and learn in the Pojoaque area will be close to
the environment where we will be deployed. Reviewing the workshop schedules
I, II, and III
Wool shearing, spinning and weaving
Wool Rug making, Looms
Mulching, Composting
Natural Irrigation and water storage and harvesting
Top Bar Beekeeping
Sustainment Farming
Seed Harvesting
Pest Control with poultry
Poultry Liter and fertilizer
Poultry storage pastures, coops, brooding houses and chicken runs.
Poultry Processing and cooking
High Altitude farming
Small plot farming
Primitive Food Storage Techniques (Root Cellars, underground cold storage
facilities, canning)
Planting (Broad cast sowing, berries, grapes, gardens, rows, trellising and
raised gardens)
Small Dairy Operations: Milking, cream separating, butter making and having a
drink
Goat slaughtering / processing
Fishing and processing a fish for dinner
Tree planting and harvesting
Fire building for heat and cooking (wood and other natural fuels)
Soil testing or type determinations?