permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question re mosquitos

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jocelyn Campbell <jocecampbell@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question re mosquitos
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 22:55:00 -0700

Hi Cory,

Another option to Kevin's idea of the citronella geraniums is lemon balm.
Strong citronella smell and it works great! I've taken the fresh herb
camping and rubbed the leaves over exposed skin (there's no sting) and
little to no mosquito bites! Works far better than any chemical spray, IMHO,
and makes a lovely lemon flavor in cooking and teas, too! Also used
medicinally, especially for herpes simplex.

There is a strain of BT used for mosquito larvae, though I have no idea of
the cost of that, or the safety, or effectiveness.

Education and fish sound excellent.

Did anyone mention bats or bat houses? Not sure if the insect eating bats
are in Haiti. Around here, one bat eats upwards of 200 mosquitoes a night.

Best,

Jocelyn

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Kevin Topek <ktopek@att.net> wrote:

> Cory,
>
> There is another option that is cheap. Citronella Geraniums smell like
> citronella oil. Keep the plants nearby. Pick a leaf, crumple it, put
> it in a shirt pocket. Every time you move it emits a scent. It works
> OK to keep the mosquitos away, but not great. My Mom always used to
> lather us in citronella oil when were outdoors. It stings, but it does
> work. Not sure of the toxicity, but it is probably not as toxic as DEET.
>
> Kevin Topek
>

> On May 6, 2010, at 9:12 PM, Cory Brennan wrote:
>
> > I will definitely do that for my team, and it is a good suggestion,
> > didn't think of incense (will take my smudge too). But I'm looking
> > for broadscale solutions for the camps as well, which will need to
> > be very, very cheap or free using local materials. Maybe they can
> > make incense with some local herbs or already do, worth checking
> > into...
> >
> > Cory

Eco Events | QuickBooks | Accounting | 206.779.3707
www.jocelynsevents.com | www.jocelyncampbell.com

~~please think twice before printing this or any e-mail~~