permaculture - [permaculture] Question re mosquitos

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Question re mosquitos
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 18:27:22 -0700 (PDT)

I'm going to Haiti in a couple of days and am interested in feedback on
control of mosquitos.

This is a serious problem with the rainy season - some of the camps are in
flood plains, there is lots of standing water, garbage, etc, intense breeding
grounds for mosquitos. More so than usual because of the human element and
chaotic environment. What I would do is direct the water to a man made pond
or ponds that is stocked with mosquito fish (or other predator) and some sort
of ecosystem balance of plants (whatever is possible with the existing
resources). And do an education campaign to eliminate careless standing water
like buckets or tires lying around (which may be being done by rescue
organizations already). Any other suggestions?