permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question re mosquitos

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kevin Topek <ktopek@att.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question re mosquitos
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 20:50:46 -0500

Cory,

Gambusia minnows are the main mosquito eating fish in tropical and semi-tropical ecosystems. They are usually native to those areas too. They eat the mosquito larvae en mass when the larvae reach 4-7 days old. I also suggest keeping a smoldering fire close at hand since mosquitos stay 20' away from smoke. Mosquito coils or incense are what we use here in coastal Texas. The smoke really works and is cheap, available and easy to employ. The ancient Mayans always had braziers burning to keep the mosquitos at bay.

Kevin Topek