permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question re mosquitos

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kevin Topek <ktopek@att.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question re mosquitos
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 21:21:49 -0500

Cory,

There is another option that is cheap. Citronella Geraniums smell like citronella oil. Keep the plants nearby. Pick a leaf, crumple it, put it in a shirt pocket. Every time you move it emits a scent. It works OK to keep the mosquitos away, but not great. My Mom always used to lather us in citronella oil when were outdoors. It stings, but it does work. Not sure of the toxicity, but it is probably not as toxic as DEET.

Kevin Topek