permaculture - [permaculture] My brief comments on assessing yields on organic farms.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] My brief comments on assessing yields on organic farms.
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:24:37 -0400

I would say that there is organic farming (by the USDA
rulebook) and there is organic farming, as it began co-evolving many
decades ago (read Acres USA back issues). As far as assessing yields on
organic farms, there are many variables to consider.

1) regional climate, prolonged patterns of weather conditions (drought?
rain?)
2) soil type(s) prevalent on the farms
3) soil OM, tilth, fertility, array and quantity of biological life
4) lay of the land, drainage, water retention
5) was permaculture used to design any of the farming systems?
6) tillage history and methods, ongoing tillage system used seasonally
7) cropping method(s): rows, flat land, raised beds

  • [permaculture] My brief comments on assessing yields on organic farms., Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/10/2010