permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Oil spill - solutions?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Oil spill - solutions?
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 09:26:28 -0700 (PDT)

"I thought we were talking
about GMO life forms eating oil and when the oil is gone what else do they
eat ."

They are not GMO microbes and when the oil is gone they die. That is what
happens to most microbes, algae, etc, when the fuel and environment they
survive on is gone. That's why monocropping kills the life in the soil. You
have to bring in microbes from outside the system, whether that is in manure,
organic material, compost, etc, if you want any there.

Did you ever see the presentation on peak oil where we are compared to algae
that will reproduce until the one thing they eat is gone, and then they all
die? I think that's a good metaphor for our oil obsession. Are we smarter
than algae or bacteria? Can we adapt and find other fuel to use?

Bacteria are amazingly adaptable, and we have learned from them, but they do
starve and die when the fuel they use to survive is gone, and they do seek a
balance. It's true that they can jump to eating other things but most of them
die before that happens. Think of a fatal illness that only humans can get.
It can kill its host, but then it dies off en masse and maybe completely,
unless it finds more human food.

I seriously doubt microbes will be used on any type of large scale in this
clean up. But perhaps they can help protect fragile wetlands and coastline
and it is a tool that should be considered.

We do need to get off oil completely and go to alternative fuels that don't
harm the environment. They do exist and we know how to produce them now to
create minimal harm or maybe even regenerate.

Cory