permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A Solution to the GMO Problem

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A Solution to the GMO Problem
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:19:12 -0500

The problem is that the answer to your question is a closely guarded secret.
The export of GMO Papaya to Thailand was done on the sly and it was sheer
circumstance that it was caught by Thai authorities whose job is to enforce
their national no GMO laws.

The problem is the abandonment of the "do no harm" principal in science that
has, in the past, given us some assurance us that nothing new would be
released into the general environment until we knew the long term
consequences. To release brand new organisms never seen in evolutionary
history into the general population of the biosphere is ignorance at best
and high crime at next best. None of us should have to prove that GMO
technology is dangerous but rather the corporations introducing it into the
environment and the food chain should have to prove its safety and its value
to our health and well being.

Scott Pittman
Director
Permaculture Institute