permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fw: New Cumberland BC Cumberlander Article: Howshould the world respond to climate change?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: katey culver <newtribe@hughes.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fw: New Cumberland BC Cumberlander Article: Howshould the world respond to climate change?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:30:26 -0600

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Toby Hemenway
<toby@patternliteracy.com>wrote:

> So people are passionate, which makes reasoned
> discussion hard. Isn't that a predictable pattern? How honest is it to
> claim to be shocked, shocked to find agendas going on here?

Shocked that you, Toby, as one of our elders "took the bait". ;-) We ought
to be passionate about Permaculture, passionate about what we are doing.
Not passionate about the problems. That seems like ill-placed energy.
Potentially as debilitating as the problems themselves.

Okay, maybe that's a stretch. But, I do think our energy is not only better
spent on the work, if it's spent on the problem it may feed the problem as
much as bring about change.

> What bothered me was the author's rather slimy stance that he's merely a
> dispassionate skeptic fighting for rights that are being violated by
> wicked climate-change fascists.

I didn't read the article, thank goodness. I was responding to our
colleague on this list, their personal experience with a lack of respectful
dialog, that was my only frame of reference. Perhaps attaching the article
was problematic as it over-rid the plea for mutual respect.

As a partner of one who has asked a question or two among his peers, the
Let's be more creative with our passion!

Thank you for asking,
Katey

--
Katey Culver