permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fw: New Cumberland BC Cumberlander Article: How should the world respond to climate change?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: katey culver <newtribe@hughes.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fw: New Cumberland BC Cumberlander Article: How should the world respond to climate change?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:56:34 -0600

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM, <fdnokes@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if any of you have had the experience of simply questioning people
> about their assumption that global warming is human-caused, only to be
> immediately labeled as a "climate change denier" and relegated to the same
> category as "holocaust deniers" and their ilk. Yikes! Excuse me for living!

Hey fdnokes,
I had to read your email to my husband because when I read it I half
expected the signature on it to be his. He excuses you!

Sorry to hear the first response you got was more of the same. Not an
attempt at an actual discussion, and possible clearing the air, of the
questions on people's minds.

For myself, I stay away from climate change as an issue because it is
operating under the same framing which has bogged down the ecology and
social justice movements for decades: talking about *symptoms* instead of *
causes*. It is the way that movements are kept down, playing semantic
games.

I prefer to talk about the problems - deforestation, loss of habitat,
toxins, energy use, habits of consumption, trade, etc. - and the options to
address them. No ambiguities here. And addressing causes is where we will
find our options for healing.

blessings,
Katey

--