permaculture - Re: [permaculture] arid soil building

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] arid soil building
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:06:36 -0800 (PST)

> In the Summer, nitrogen from animal manures, mulches, and
> compost just returns to the air if there is not sufficient
> irrigation.

N is the first nutrient to volatize anyways, no matter what the condition.
But I think, unless we are doing chemical farming, we shouldn't get too
fixated about N. In humus, N just changes into different forms such as
bacteria, and even if a chemical analysis doesn't show much N at a given
time, it doesn't mean plants won't be able to access N and all other nutrient
present in organically bound form, which are not shown in the normal soil
test.

Dieter Brand
Portugal