permaculture - Re: [permaculture] arid soil building

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] arid soil building
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:34:06 -0500

We live in a more Southern Mediterranean climate and have even less rain,
though the pattern is similar. We are working a much smaller property than
you have, and it has taken years to build up the soil. It is deep clay
subsoil. The top soil had been depleted by bad orchard management back in the
1930s and 40s before the area had been sub-divided. We still have patches
that are only suitable for perennials. Annuals just don't thrive in the heavy
clay.

I swear that there should be an association of Mediterranean climate farmers
and gardeners. We are a forgotten minority. I find few books that address our
needs in general gardening or farming books. So much more is geared to
temperate zone climates.

Larry