permaculture - Re: [permaculture] arid soil building

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] arid soil building
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 17:02:27 -0500

Rain:

There are some differences between charcoal and biochar. Biochar is cooked
at a very low temperature, and it has to be soaked in compost tea for months
to overcome its water repellency and charge it with nutrients. Charcoal
is relatively inert in soil, until it loses its hydrophobia, and then it
becomes a nutrient sponge that can rob your crops. In a medeterranian
climate, it might never overcome its resistance to water.

Biochar can be made cleanly, and it releases less carbon than compost;
biochar lasts for centuries in soil before it oxidezes, and compost lasts
years or decades, then oxidizes into the atmosphere.

I don't know if biochar would improve your soil or not; it is an emerging
science. We only know that it is one ingredient in the magical Terra Preta
soils of the Amazon Basin. In fact, the science is new enough that
everything I said earlier could be wrong!