permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Additional software I can add at ibiblio for our use as a companion forum with different and enhanced features- any interest?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: LINDARAY@att.net
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Additional software I can add at ibiblio for our use as a companion forum with different and enhanced features- any interest?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:33:21 +0000

I'm all for it- please do it! Sounds like a great way to clarify things and
share information. I think it also would mean much less time spent explaining
for you. :)

Thank you Larry :)!

Linda :)
-------------- Original message from "Lawrence F. London, Jr."
<venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>: --------------

> [...]
> home, use 24/7/365 and this is much needed. Now that out list is up to
> about 923 members now might be a good time to add to this list a
> different kind of forum, one where everything is organized by Subject,
> then thread. Individual messages can have embedded urls which display
> graphics and multimedia in real time as you read, without having to go
> to another browser windor ot tab.
>
> A quote from my post to Michael tonight about this, with links and
> examples:
> \|/
> /|\
> I have a new idea for a permaculture and gardening/farming forum system
> for us that I will pursue - see this URL to see what it is like and is
> good for. This is a machinist site - they are an exceptionally nice,
> considerate, polite and helpful community of self help folks -
> impressive to say the lease - when I saw this I realized that there
> isn't anything really like this for serious permaculture practitioners
> and gardeners/smal & family farmers/market farmers:
> http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php
> and a topic thread:
> http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=7364.0
>
> What do you think about this for those of us in the permaculture list?
> It would exist at ibiblio side by side with the Wiki and the
> permaculture list as an alternative and companion. Its ability to create
> discrete pages for each thread, with embedded graphics seems like a
> not-to-be-without resource.
>
> The software appears to be free and I could get it installed on ibiblio
> without too much trouble. This is their website:
>
> Simple Machines Forum
> http://www.simplemachines.org/
>
> Is this worth doing and will enough of us use it to make it worthwhile?
>
> Just think, create a new thread and that generates its own group of
> pages. Each post in each thread can contain embedded graphics or other
> media, i.e. videos, sound, etc. Login t your user account there, go to
> the subject area of your choice, browse the topics being discussed, read
> the ones that interest you and leave the rest; download and archive any
> of this you want, complete with graphics.
>
> Ex. a thread originates on pond building, lots of input from many users
> with pics of their own work, followups, etc etc ad infinitum. A thread
> can generate dozens of pages and can go on for years. Q&A on plants,
> i.e. "what is this plant I found out back?'. What do varieties of
> lupines look like. What is a typical root system for clover growing in
> soil with a high rock powder component - pics ensue, discussion unfolds.
> I think this would be much fun. Scans of drawings and blueprints, scans
> of select pages of books and mags, legal of course.
>
> I think this is a must have for us. What do you all think?
>

>From LINDARAY@att.net Wed Dec 16 12:53:29 2009
use as a companion forum with different and enhanced

I have recently relocated to the San Francisco area, and am going nuts trying
to identify local flora.

It's pretty amazing to me what urban folks don't know and don't want to know
(Are too busy to know, I think). Urban yards here are hedged with Rosemary,
and no one in the area knows it!

I am searching high and low for like-minded and ecologically-focussed
herbalists who can identify these plants to me, yet no one knows what they
are. It would be fantastic if I could upload and post a pic and ask "Does
anyone know what this is?"

Likewise, I have an extensive ag library in my PC here, and can post clear
line drawings of root system 'growth patterns and depth' for vegetable crops
for those who are interested.

I think this capability qualifies as a 'must-have' also, if we can get it.

Thanks again, Larry :).

You are a jewel :).

Namaste,

Linda
PS: If any listmembers are in this area (Fremont), I'd love to connect and/or
correspond- Compost is a-making already here, and a garden will be going in
among the fruit trees this next season. Amen. I am *so* happy.