permaculture - [permaculture] small attached greenhouses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kris kaul <kriskaul@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] small attached greenhouses
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:26:16 -0800 (PST)

I'm planning to put a small lean-to polycarbonate greenhouse on the south
side of my house.  The floor will be insulated underneath (it can't be at
ground level due to tree roots), and we'll do everything we can for thermal
mass - water containers in front supporting the beds, and a brick paver
walkway - but I'm still concerned about how cold-hardy it's going to be here
in Michigan (it will only have solar heating).  At a minimum, I'd like to be
able to start seeds in it in March (as opposed to in my living room)...  I
would love to hear of others' experiences with small greenhouses in cold
climates, and what diy modifications they might have tried to prevent the
plants inside from freezing.  I'll be glad to share whatever I learn from my
experiences.

Keep well,

Kris
Southeast MI Permaculture Guild