permaculture - Re: [permaculture] paleo permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] paleo permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:09:28 -0600

Hi Justin,

I eat pretty closely to a paleo diet. Actually I came to that route via the desire to live sustainably. I started out as a raw vegan.... My illusions of vegetarinism died when the reality of what it takes to grow a vegetarian diet hit home. Animal products are far easier to grow than veggies or fruits. I also don't do grains because of the work involved. I do grow some veggies and fruits because I like them and also have a family to feed - and they are not as 'out there' as mom. Sweet potatoes and turnips, beets, etc. are good calorie crops and comfort food.
I traveled to Costa Rica and toured many sustainable farms / permaculture sites and was surprised that even in that bio-region, yep, animals are much easier to raise.
Marjory
www.backyardfoodproduction.com

ustin Hahn wrote:
I have been thinking about how a
"paleo<http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html>"
diet would relate to Permaculture. From what I've seen on various
permaculture operations and farms, a lot of the effort is put toward grains
and other non-paleo foods like potatoes, taro, etc. In my reading about
permaculture, the planned-for food mix invariably includes a lot non-paleo
foods as well. It seems that a paleo Permaculture set-up would have some
distinct differences from a neolithic (as opposed to paleolithic) setup.
Is there anyone on this list serv who follows a paleo diet? And if so, how
does that dietary choice affect the functioning of your food system?

JustinHahn