permaculture - Re: [permaculture] paleo permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] paleo permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 07:15:59 -0800 (PST)

What about edible insects?  Also, wouldn't this depend on climate to a great
extent?

Here in the cold temperate NE USA, a paleo-diet would have consisted of wild
game to a great extent.  I've considered deer farming when I'm one day able
to secure my own land (currently stuck in NYC).  I wonder if Bear or Moose
farming could be reasonably achieved.  Fat content becomes important,
especially during the Winter months.  Most of the coastal fish varieties are
gone now and little of what still exists would be advisable to eat, even the
fresh water varieties, due to Mercury contamination.  Aquaponics would be a
good idea to address this issue, though more research is needed to match what
was once available.  The indigenous people also managed the forests here
extensively, which Dave Jacke (with Eric Toensmeier) gets into with "Edible
Forest Gardens".

In in the understory guilds mimicking what is known about these forest
gardens are things like Sunchoke, Hog Peanut, Ginseng, Ginger, and Hopniss.
Wapato would also be useful, as would Cattails, for brook or pond edges.  The
American Chestnut was decimated, but there are efforts to revive the species
through both hybridization and experiments with controlled burning once
practiced by Algonquian cultures.  Species like Butternut are facing similar
struggles.  Fruit tree, vine, and shrub options are abundant.

Apparently, the native species here tend to be fire adapted.  How common
would Lyme Disease be or would the fire sensitive "invasive" species be much
of a problem if we returned to these practices?

American Chestnut Foundation: http://www.acf.org/
Edible Forest Gardens: http://www.edibleforestgardens.com/

-Sean.