permaculture - Re: [permaculture] paleo permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Justin Hahn <justin.hahn@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] paleo permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:34:12 +0900

Sean Maley said: "I wonder if Bear or Moose farming could be reasonably
achieved. "

I don't know about moose, but I have only read or heard of one instance of
raising bears for food, and it's not promising. This is in Japan, among the
Ainu. The bears aren't domesticated, just tamed. A bear cub is captured and
raised among humans until it is ready for slaughter. I read about this in
"Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jarred Diamond in his essay about the reasons
why some animals and not others are domesticated. There are a lot of
reasons, but of primary importance in the case of the bear, is its ferocity
and disinclination to breed in captivity.

As for edible insects: That is great... for some people. I've tried some in
my travels around Asia, and while I won't say they're disgusting or
anything, I just don't particularly enjoy them. But, in the vein of taboo
food sources from Asia, has anyone heard of a permaculture system
incorporating dogs for food?
Here in South Korea, dogs occupy a very interesting niche. And while I
wouldn't call the farms I've visited here permaculture, they are inherently
sustainable to a certain degree, since they follow ancient practices.